Have you ever read about people feeling violated after a crime was commited against them. Yeah me too! I always thought "Woo how awful",and "What a terrible thing for them to now feel so vunerable." I guess I never really knew how terrible and awful that would be until last night. I had been up pretty late watching the Closing Ceremonies and working on some games for Kiya. Of course when I was then ready to go to bed Kiya woke up. I helped her get back to sleep and them Brekken woke up. He however didn't want to go back to sleep so nicely. I was up with him for a little over an hour. I finally went to bed about 1:30am only to be awaken by a police officer at our door an hour later. Ryan's car had been broken into, and his wallet gone thru. Thankfully as far as we can tell nothing is missing, but because of online purchasing we still have to worry about the thieves having written down the information needed. Arrg! I didn't get back to sleep until 4:30 this morning. (About an hour after Ryan! It is times like these that I really wish for the ablility to fall asleep easily.) I could not shut my brain off! Sleep finally overwhlemed me but then I woke up at 5:30 when Ryan woke to get ready for school. Thankfully Brekken stayed asleep for all this time and that I was able to get back to sleep shortly after Ryan got up. Sadly Brekken woke at 7:30 this morning. 4 hours of sleep and only 2 of them were consecutive. I immediatley thought about starting the long list of calls that I am now going to have to make to protect us. I was hoping to get some of the most important ones done before Kiya woke up. NO luck. No one was open yet.
It is hard to explain how betrayed and vunerable you feel. We are very thankful however because it could have been much worse. We are also hopeful that if someone tries to use our accounts or idenity that A) we will have taken the necessary steps and precautions to protect ourselves and B)that we will be aware of and be able to stop anything that needs to be.
I am so thankful for my knowledge of the gospel and the knowledge that I have that know matter what happens Our Savior will be with us to help comfort and guide us.
So some advice or a reminder for you all. Weither you park your car outside normally or not. Make sure it is locked. Make sure all your valuables are out of it. Make sure your garage door opener is not in you car. Make sure you lock your garage if you can and make sure to lock the door from your house to your garage. I always lock the doors to the outside but I have gotten out of the practice of locking the garage and the door from the house to the garage. Last night I did lock the door from the house to the garage but not the garage. Ryan had garage opener in his car. If they had wanted to they could have gotten into our Garage. As far as we could tell. They didn't but things like this make you think. Ryan normally parks in the garage so we are out of practice. Hopefully you can gain something from our experience. We have learned.
Monday, August 25, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

4 comments:
Yikes!!! That's scary, and a great reminder to the rest of us to lock up. I'm glad that you had the door from the garage to the house locked!
I am glad that you are okay. That is really scary. Brad thinks I'm crazy but before I go to bed since I'm always the last one, I check everything. with work I deal with this a lot so call me or email me if you have questions I have credit bureau #'s to if you need.
~Meg
I hope that everything worked out for you. I'm sorry that happened. That is scary. Cute pictures from the museum.
that sucks sorry our friend had the same thing happen to them
Post a Comment